Band Directors’ Association (Singapore) presents the inaugural Singapore Band Solo Virtual Championships (SBSVC) 2021.
The aim of this championship is to have a platform to showcase wind musicians’ instrumental skills as they continue their regular practice despite the pandemic.
“We understand that with no concerts and performances to look forward to, practices do get mundane. So we hope that wind musicians, young and old, can join us at this first ever championship as we showcase the many talents of our wind community,” said Adrian Chiang, President of BDAS.
- Must be a Singapore Citizen or currently residing in Singapore
- Open to all musicians who play an instrument in a wind ensemble
- Each participant may perform in as many categories as they wish to register for
- Category A: 12 years old and below (Registration Fee: $8 per entry)
- Category B: 13 to 15 years old (Registration Fee: $8 per entry)
- Category C: 16 to 18 years old (Registration Fee: $8 per entry)
- Category D: 19 to 21 years old (Registration Fee: $10 per entry)
- Open Category: Any age (Registration Fee: $15 per entry)
Classification is based on the participant’s age as of 30th June 2021.
Flute/Piccolo, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet/Bass Clarinet, Saxophone
Trumpet/Cornet/Flugelhorn, French Horn/Mellophone, Baritone/Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba
Percussion Instruments typically utilized and recognized as part of a band or orchestra.
- Performances must be a minimum of 2 minutes, and not more than 10 minutes.
- Participants must introduce themselves and explain briefly the theme of their performance for a maximum of 30 seconds.
- Official performance time shall start with the first note of music and will end with the completion of music
Video Recording & Uploading Procedures
- Participants are solely responsible for recording their solo.
- Participants may select from any genre of music for their performance.
- Performances should be recorded in a single continuous take only, without cuts and unedited.
- The full body and face of the participant has to fit into the video frame throughout the video.
- Piano accompaniment/ accompaniment tracks are allowed.
- Video frames must be in landscape screen only.
- The video production should be saved in MP4 format, with a maximum image resolution of 720 pixels and a maximum file size of 100MB.
- Participants are responsible for trimming the beginning and/or end of their video (e.g. walking away after pressing the record button). Videos will not be edited in any way after they are submitted.
- Participants must create an account with BDA(S) Official Web-Server in order to upload their official video entry.
- Each participant is only allowed a single time to upload their video production, it cannot be replaced/overwritten once submitted. The deadline is on 31 July at 11:59 pm! Please avoid uploading your video at the last minute to avoid issues arising from web congestion.
- Upon account activation in BDA(S) Official Web-Server, participants must make payment, log in and upload their videos in the official designated video uploading section.
- Participants who did not upload in the official video uploading section and/or failed to provide a shareable link for back-up of their videos will forfeit their entry.
- The provided email account of the participants in the online registration form will be used to give access to the BDA(S) Competition System for score recap and commentary file.
- Participants are responsible for any music copyright. (Be careful in the selection of music that contains copyright).
- SBSVC organizing committee has the rights to cancel or delete a participant’s video if it contains inappropriate or restricted content.
- The video recording should be made for the sole purpose of SBSVC’s adjudication and it must not be shared or used for any other purpose. This means that the video recording must not be shared with any other person or uploaded to file sharing or social media websites such as Facebook or YouTube etc. If the recording is shared with anyone other than for SBSVC’s adjudication purposes, the candidate may be disqualified.
- By signing up for SBSVC, you are consenting to have your videos be seen by the public and for BDA(S) to use your videos for publicity and marketing related purposes.
- Only appointed BDA(S) judges will adjudicate the competition.
- A commentary file will be made available for all participants via BDA(S) Automated Competition System.
- Overall ratings will be awarded to each participant, and a “Most Outstanding” performer award will be identified by the adjudicators.
Payment and Registration
- Registration fee is to be paid via the following website
- Select the category that you wish to compete in. Fill in all required information of the participant and proceed to make payment. Please ensure all information provided is correct as you will NOT be allowed to make any amendments upon submission. All forms of communication from the organizer will be done via email, so please ensure that your email is active.
- Take note of your order number as you will be required to provide it when BDA(S) requests for it for verification purposes.
- Upon successful payment, you may then proceed to register and upload your video at the event website.
- Order number needs to be entered at point of video submission for the video to be considered for the adjudication.
Prizes and Awards
- Performers in all event levels will receive a virtual certificate indicating their rating via email after the announcement of results at the end of August 2021.
- Performers will be awarded the respective awards: Gold Award (above 80%) | Silver Award (66-80%) | Bronze Award (65% and below) | Most Outstanding Award (highest ‘Gold’ score in the respective categories).
Dr. Leonard Tan | Joosh Flach | Zhang Jin Min | Dr. Brett Stemple | Adrian Chiang | Brando Tan | Jovan Neo | Joseph Teo | Tarun Jayaram | Gavilan Neo | Shaun Leoi | Yeo Jie Yuan | Samantha Chong | Richard Png | Jacintha Tan