Singapore Youth Festival 2018: Arts Presentation for (Primary School Level)
Primary School Bands and Ensembles
16-17 April (Ensembles), 18-19 April (Brass Band), 20 April (Concert Band)
Venue: To Be Confirmed / 9.30 am – 6.00 pm
- Band (Brass)
- Band (Concert)
- Band (Brass Ensemble): Combination of two or more sections from the brass family of the concert band, e.g. B-flat Trumpet and Trombone. The ensemble cannot comprise instruments from one section only.
- Band (Percussion Ensemble): Combination of instruments from the percussion section of the brass/concert band.
- Band (Woodwind Ensemble): Combination of two or more sections from the woodwind family of the concert band, e.g. Clarinets and Double Reeds. The ensemble cannot comprise instruments from one section only.
A school may participate in up to two sub-categories, and up to one entry per sub-category. However, schools may only participate in either Band (Brass) or Band (Concert).
All bands in the Band (Concert) and Band (Brass) category will perform the following in any order:
- Set piece
- Choice piece
All bands in Band (Brass Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble or Woodwind Ensemble) will perform two contrasting choice pieces (e.g. traditional/folk pieces vs. contemporary compositions, or pieces from differing musical styles), and may perform without conductors.
A student representative from the band must be nominated to introduce the pieces presented. This introduction must be kept under one minute, and should include the following:
- Name of school
- Name of conductor (where applicable)
- Titles and composers/arrangers of all pieces presented
- Students’ key musical learning through the preparation process and highlights of the pieces they will be performing
This introduction will not be assessed by the adjudicators.
Set Piece – Band (Concert) & Band (Brass)
Dare to Dream by Johnson Lee (S$100 via firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kindly send an email to the composer with the following information from 20 September onwards:
- Name of school
- Name and telephone contact of teacher-in-charge
- Payment mode (indicate e-invoice or cheque)
Tuesday, 10 October 2017
Ministry of Education (21 Evans Road) Auditorium, 3-5pm
(Registration starts from 2.30 pm)
The session will pertain to the following:
- Learning outcomes and highlights of the set piece
- Suggested approaches to the teaching and learning of the set piece using the Teaching and Learning Resource
Conductors and teachers-in-charge to attend the session are encouraged to attend.
Each school may nominate one teacher-in-charge and/or one conductor for the session. Register your attendance through the online forms below by 2 October 2017, 5.00 pm:
- Band (Brass): https://goo.gl/forms/Wy9UmN8FTpNW1uJI3
- Band (Concert): https://goo.gl/forms/VL5juSO9StcKFe083
For admission, please bring your PS card (for MOE personnel) or a photo ID (for non-MOE personnel).
For Band (Brass Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble and Wind Ensemble)
- Playing in unison is not encouraged. Solo performances with accompaniment are not allowed.
For All Categories
- Bands may not present the same choice piece performed at the SYF 2016 AP for Band.
- Electric guitars, electric pianos, synthesisers, organs and all other electronic devices are not allowed.
Standard percussion instruments will be provided (More information to be released at a later date)
For Band (Brass, Concert, Brass Ensemble and Wind Ensemble)
- Schools must adhere to the fixed seating plans provided on the SYF Registration Portal. Preset chairs and music stands may not be moved during the AP. Special requests for the use of piano may be made only for Band (Brass) and (Concert), and must be done through the SYF Portal by 19 February 2018.
For Band (Percussion Ensemble)
- The percussion instruments are preset as shown in the stage plan, provided on the SYF Registration Portal, at the beginning of each band’s performance. These preset instruments may be moved at the start of each performance but must be restored to their original positions at the end of the performance. Requests to bring additional percussion instruments (not found in the list of preset instruments) must be made through the SYF Portal by 19 February 2018.
- Band (Brass) & Band (Concert): Duration of Choice Piece no more than 6 minutes
- Band (Ensembles): Total performance no more than 8 minutes
Five marks will be deducted for any performance exceeding the stipulated.
Schools must observe the following number of participants for each sub-category:
- 24 to 80 current students for Band (Brass or Concert)
- 8 to 24 current students for Band (Ensembles)
Bands that involve performers who are not current students of the school will be disqualified.
Each school may submit only one entry per sub-category for Band (Brass Ensemble), Band (Percussion Ensemble) and Band (Wind Ensemble), up to a maximum of two entries in all. However, schools may only participate in either Band (Brass) or Band (Concert).
Certificate of Distinction ≥ 75.0
Certificate of Accomplishment 60.0 – 74.9
Certificate of Commendation ≤ 59.9
Results of each sub-category of the SYF AP will be published one working day after the last day of the sub-category. In May 2018, written comments by individual adjudicators, along with an Adjudicators’ Report that provides an overview of schools’ performances at the SYF 2018 AP, will be made available to participating schools.
Schools that have specific school-wide events (e.g. Examinations, Speech Day, Sports Day) that coincide with the SYF AP period must indicate their special requests via the SYF Portal by 19 February 2018, with the following information:
- Date(s) of event(s)
- Name(s)/Type(s) of event(s)
- Number of students affected for each event
For More Information: SYF 2018 AP Primary Bands
A contributing editor at TBP.